photo shows two U.S. Army Military Police posing with Rawleigh products
in Hougen's store. The U.S. Army, U.S. Airforce, and American construction
companies moved to Whitehorse in early 1942 as part of the war effort.
The population ballooned to 30,000 people. The Americans departed in 1946,
turning over responsibility of the Alaska Highway, the airports and the
telephone system to the Canadian military.