before 1890 |
1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959
With the purchase of George Meikle's electric and appliance store, Hougen's consolidates the merchandise into the main (bowling alley) store. Hougen's now sells photo, sporting goods, stationery, 78 rpm and long play records, hi-fi stereos & appliances, fabric and sewing suppl ies including sewing machines, and children's wear.
The new Federal Building officially opens. W.G. Brown, Commissioner, Aubrey Simmons M.P. and Mayor Gordon Armstrong officiate the ceremonies.
When the paddle wheelers were loaded with freight and passengers at the docks at the foot of Main Street, the boat would go upstream, maneuver and turn around and then head downstream for Dawson City, a three-day trip. The return trip took seven days.
The paddle wheeler river boat "Casca" being launched from Winter Rest. The whole high school would rush to the shipyards when the whistle sounded to announce a launch. Rolf Hougen took this photo in 1947.
Mayor Armstrong addresses the crowd on Remembrance Day in front of the Federal Building where the cenotaph is located. Behind him is M.P. Aubrey Simmons, Commissioner Wilf Brown, Wing Commander Pearce, Bishop Greenwood.
When the road was opened to Mayo, the effect on the river boats was devastating. Rather than ship the Keno Hill silver ore by boat, they now trucked it to Whitehorse and then by White Pass Rail to Skagway. This photo of the lounge on the Klondike was part of the remodeling of the boat by White Pass and Canadian Pacific air to develop a tourist trip to Dawson City and back.
The Duke of Edinburgh visits Whitehorse. He went for a river trip on the newly remodeled Klondike as far as Lake Lebarge. In this photo is Rolf Hougen on the boat, 5th from right with the camera.
It wasn't the Yukon's first pipeline. The Canol line had been built in 1942, and included a line from Whitehorse to Skagway.
The eight-inch pipe-line, built in 1954 from Haines to Fairbanks, was a symbol, not of WWII, but of the cold war with Russia. It was designed to deliver low-cost quantities of jet fuel to Eielson Airforce Base in Alaska, used by the Strategic Air Command bombers. The 600-hundred mile line cost the American military 54 million dollars. Today, it would total about 400 million.
The pipeline was part of the American policy of deterrence during the frightening days of the Cold War.
Prior to 1955, fuel for Alaskan military bases was supplied by the Alaska Railroad at a delivery cost of ten cents a gallon from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Too expensive, said military planners. Fuel delivered by the eight-inch pipeline was a cent a gallon in shipping costs from Haines to Fairbanks.
The route from Haines to Fairbanks was selected because the Haines Highway provided a ready-made corridor. Haines had a deep-water, ice-free port, with docking facilities capable of handling large fuel tankers.
The pipe and construction materials began arriving in 1954, and were trucked to staging areas throughout Alaska, the Yukon and British Columbia. By the summer of 1955, the job was finished, and the first tanker arrived in Haines in June 1955.
The line ran from Haines, up the Chilkat River valley and paralleled the Haines Highway to Haines Junction. A pump station at 49 Mile lifted the fuel over the Chilkat Pass, the highest point on the entire line at 3600 feet. At Haines Junction, the line turned north along the Alaska Highway and headed for Eielson Air force Base.
The fuel was boosted over the summit and past Kluane Lake by a pump station ten miles north of Haines Junction. There was also a pump station at Destruction Bay and one south of the Donjek River.
The flow and pressure were constantly monitored at pump houses, in both the Yukon and Alaska, as the fuel ran to a terminal at Tok Junction to await a delivery to Eielson Air Force Base.
Storage facilities, at both Haines and Tok, could handle almost three hundred thousand barrels of fuel. The line carried a mixed bag of product at the same time including jet fuel, aviation gas, diesel and regular gasoline. Pressure inside the line prevented mixing of the different types of fuels.
The pipeline could deliver almost thirty thousand barrels of fuel per day. Well-trained American and Canadian professionals operated the system, including my brother Fred, who loved his work and the family life offered at the Destruction Bay pump house.
By the early 1970's, solid-fuel Minuteman missiles began replacing bombers and reduced the need for conventional fuel. The pipeline and pump stations were abandoned in 1971. The pipe was salvaged in 1991.
The Haines to Fairbanks pipeline had done its job. It was economical and safe. During sixteen years of operation, delivering milllions of barrels of fuel to the US Military in Alaska, not a single plane was lost because of bad fuel.
A CKRW Yukon Nugget by Les McLaughlin
The Big Inch Saga
The land is still here - listed as Group 2 in lot 243 - a nineteen-acre plot on the west bank of the Yukon River about three miles upstream from Dawson City. It is long way from Chicago, Illinois where in 1954, the Klondike Big Inch Land Caper began.
Bruce Baker was an advertising executive with Quaker Oats company. For years, through his ad campaigns, he told the children of North America that Quaker Oats cereal was shot from guns. But by the mid-fifties, other cereals gave away prizes in every box. Baker needed something new; something catchy and simple and related to the cereal's radio show about Sergeant Preston, a Mountie in the Yukon. Then he had a brain wave.
In each box of Puffed Rice and Puffed Wheat, he would give away a deed to a square inch of Yukon land exactly where Sergeant Preston and his trusty dog King carried out their adventures in radio land.
So began the Klondike Big Inch Land Caper, one of the most successful sales promotions in North American business history.
In October 1954, Baker, his brother John, and a Quaker Oats advertising executive chartered a plane and flew from Chicago to the Yukon, to look for land. In Whitehorse, the three introduced themselves to lawyer George Van Roggen who drove the men from Whitehorse to Dawson City. In the frigid early hours of Thursday, October 7, the three Chicago ad men set out in an open boat to inspect the land they would buy for 1000 dollars.
Their guide was Constable Paul LeCocq, a real-life Mountie stationed in Dawson. It was the most exciting day of Bruce Baker's life. The trip gave him a wooden leg to prove it. The
Yukon river was choked with cakes of ice. The wake sprayed up over Constable LeCocq and froze. His leather jacket was soon completely covered with ice. Still they maneuvered upstream against the current for about 40 minutes and arrived at the land in question.
Paul turned in toward shore and suddenly - Crash!. The boat smashed up on a rock. Water poured over the stern and turned to ice in the bottom of the boat. They had to paddle about 50 yards to shore, made a hurried inspection of the Quaker Oats property and headed back, wet and cold, to Dawson, drifting with the current because the sheer pin of their outboard motor had broken off when they crashed.
When they got back to town, they headed straight for the hotel bar and got pickled on 180-proof rum. Bruce Baker's feet were badly frostbitten. Years later, complications resulted in the amputation of his right leg below the knee.
Back in Chicago, Quaker Oats formed a subsidiary called the Klondike Big Inch Land Co. to handle the promotion, so that deeds could be decorated with an official-looking corporate seal.
The promotion was first announced on the Sgt. Preston network radio show on January 27, 1955, and ads appeared in newspapers across North America: "You'll actually own one square inch of Yukon land in the famous Klondike gold country!"
The public response surpassed Baker's wildest dreams. Quaker Oats cereal sold as quickly as the deeds could be printed and stuffed into the boxes.Twenty-one million were issued in just a few years and resulted in Puffed Wheat and Rice taking control of the highly competitive cereal market.
The Sgt. Preston radio show went off the air in the late 1950s. The Klondike Big Inch Land Company was kept alive until 1966, to handle thousands of inquiries.
Then, the 19 wilderness acres of Yukon land were repossessed by the Canadian government for non-payment of $37.20 in taxes. Today, the deeds for the Klondike Big Inch Company are worth upwards of US $35 in the collectible's marketplace.
A CKRW Yukon Nugget by Les McLaughlin
I learned a new word today. It is difficult to pronounce, but it means a lot. The word is Paradoli. It was coined in 1994 and means mistaking something perceived as recognizable. Like shapes of angels in clouds. Or the man in the moon. Or the face on Mars. They don’t exist, but with paradoli, we are led to believe that they do. It is a psychological term for the mind's obsession with finding patterns in essentially random objects.
So why am I talking about this on Yukon Nuggets? Simply because of a five-dollar bill. The 1954 five-dollar bill was the first to have a likeness of Queen Elizabeth on the front. She had been crowned Queen in 1953 and, the following year, the Bank of Canada replaced the portrait of her late father King George with hers.
Well, it didn't take long for the conspiracy theorists to get in on the act. They saw the likeness of a devil’s head in her hair. Thus, the 1954 series of Canadian bank notes became known as the 'devil’s head series'. Of course, there was no devil in her hair. It was a mass case of paradoli, seeing something that does not exist.
A story made the rounds that a French Canadian, who designed the portrait, slipped a devil’s head past the scrutineers because he opposed the monarchy. Just to be on the safe side, the Bank of Canada had the plates (from which the notes were produced) darkened in 1956, so any chance of seeing a fictional devil’s head vanished.
Still, you are right to ask, "what does this have to do with the Yukon?"
In a round-about way, plenty. You see, the 1954 five-dollar bill, long out of circulation, has, on the back, a picture of Otter Falls, Yukon, where I often fished for rainbow trout with my brother-in-law.
I have been trying to find out why Otter Falls is on the "devil's head" bill? Who took the photo? How was it chosen? When was it taken? Questions, questions.
A Yukon friend from my distant past says it was taken by Blondie Hougen, late brother of
Rolf Hougen. He says he was there when Blondie took the photo. There can be no doubt that my friend was with Blondie that day and that Blondie took a photo. But did his photo end up on the five-dollar bill? It is possible, but I could not confirm that from officials at the Bank of Canada’s museum.
They tell me that in preparing for the 1954 issue, officials at the Bank of Canada reviewed literally thousands of images of Canada, searching for examples that would capture the diverse nature of the Canadian landscape. Various firms, including the National Library, Canadian Pacific and several news agencies, supplied the images. They say that they have no specific information about the source of the photograph used to engrave the image of Otter Falls.
So it remains a mystery - for now - how or why Otter Falls came to grace the 1954 five-dollar bill. It is, of course, no longer in circulation and, as a collector’s item, it is not worth very much. To a Yukoner, however, who fished the falls and marvelled at their grandeur when the water raged over the rocks before they built the Aishihik dam in the mid-seventies, the sight of the falls living forever as a famous image on an historic piece of Canadian currency is reason enough to hope that Blondie Hougen took the photo, because it captured, for Yukoners everywhere, the magic and the mystery of the land.
A CKRW Yukon Nugget by Les McLaughlin
A visit to Otter Falls
Otter Falls, once featured on the back of the Canadian five dollar bill, is one of the many excellent Yukon places to visit for fishing and relaxation.
A Yukon video by Les McLaughlin
The Day the Duke Came to Town
It was hot that Sunday in August back in 1954. By mid-day, the temperature had risen to 80° F. The quiet town was livelier than usual. The water truck, that would normally be parked in the city garage, was rushing up and down Fourth Avenue, pumping gallons of water on the dusty gravel streets. School teachers were handing out Red Ensign Flags. Alex Seely was pruning pansies in a 45-gallon oil drum. Shop-keepers were busy hanging red, white and blue bunting. The door to
Sam McGee's cabin on
Elliott Street was wide open. Taylor and Drury's mechanics were putting the final polish on a snazzy Oldsmobile. This was no normal Sunday.
Royalty was coming to Whitehorse. The imminent arrival of the dashing Duke of Edinburg would mark the first time a member of the Royal Family would visit the Yukon. Only a year earlier, Prince Phillip had wowed the world with his smashing good looks and courteous personality when his wife was crowned Queen Elizabeth II, ruler of the vast British Empire including the far-off Yukon.
The Duke arrived in Whitehorse at noon, August 8th on a four-hour, direct flight from Vancouver, where he had been the Royal representative at the British Empire Games, where he had witnessed fellow Brit Roger Bannister break the fabled four-minute mile. That was a special moment for Prince Phillip, who was now known around the globe as an avid sportsman, a man in love with the great outdoors, a fabulous horseman and strong swimmer. However, a deep gash on his royal nose proved that he could use some lessons in the art of Olympic diving. He had cut himself while plunging into the UBC swimming pool during the Vancouver games. Like everything with the Royals, that nose gash was big news.
Now this world figure was coming to tiny Whitehorse, where the streets were unpaved, wooden sidewalks creaked in winter and heaved in summer, and there were no traffic lights. There was no city sewer system, although a plebiscite in June had just approved the hotly debated topic of whether Whitehorse should rid itself of back-yard cesspools and open wells in favour of a modern system of running water carried in - of all things - underground pipes. What would they think of next!
The plebiscite was fiercely contested, since many taxpayers thought they could not afford such luxury. One of the ads in the paper that convinced the rate-payers to fork over the dough was a banner full-page, edged-in-black message claiming that the Queen, on a visit to Australia earlier in the year, had to wear rubber gloves to avoid contamination of her regal personage by foul water. The Yukon ad asked if Prince Phillip would have to wear rubber gloves to avoid contamination and the possibility of contracting polio from tainted water in the Yukon's capital. "If we don't get it - we've had it" blazed the headline. The plebiscite carried.
At noon on that idyllic August Sunday, Commissioner Wilfred Brown,
Mayor Gordon Armstrong, and a bands from the RCAF base met the Duke's royal plane. They ushered him into a polished yellow Oldsmobile and drove down the winding, old Two Mile Hill to the newly constructed Whitehorse Elementary High-school on Fourth Avenue, for a meeting with the children of the Yukon, including Lena Tizya, to whom he was introduced as she had represented the Yukon Girl Guides at the Queen's Coronation in 1953.
The Fleet Street Press from London, a photographer from the world's most popular news magazine "LIFE" (on the cover of which appeared a photo of the Duke in front of WHS), and a contingent of Canadian cameramen and writers recorded the Duke's every move, so much so that an editorial in the Whitehorse Star a week later praised the visit, the Duke, the kids and Yukoners in general, but slammed the "outside" press, calling them rude, crude and impudent in pushing aside anyone who got in the way of their "photo-op."
Later that memorable Sunday, Prince Phillip embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime trip down the
Yukon River a few miles, on board the newly renovated paddle-wheeler SS Klondike, that had just been put back into service by the White Pass and Yukon Route, who in co-operation with Canadian Pacific Airlines began an ill-fated and wildly expensive gamble to bring tourist dollars to the awakening, but still largely unknown Yukon tourist industry. On board the Klondike, Phillip observed a large painting depicting Cancan girls dancing up a storm, and asked
"Do you have any around here like this?" Diplomatically, the gracious mayor offered instead an ivory desk pen set that he had bought earlier in the day from the Yukon Gift and Ivory Shop.
That evening the RCAF mess was the location of a gala - or what in Yukon terms in the fifties could pass as a gala evening of food and conversation. The Duke talked at length with 88-year-old
Martha Louise Black and her 81-year-old husband
George, both of whom had spent some time in England when they were Members of the Canadian Parliament.
George had been speaker of the House of Commons in the thirties, and when he fell ill prior to the 1940 general election,
Martha ran for his Yukon seat and became only the second woman to sit in the House of Commons.
The Duke was fascinated by Martha's tale of her life as one of the few women who climbed the Chilkoot Pass on her way to the Klondike in 1898. With some irony, Prince Phillip also listened intently as aboriginal elder Patsy Henderson told him the story of his days as a young boy, back in 1898, in a camp with his uncle Skookum Jim, on the banks of the Klondike River when
Jim, Tagish Charlie and George Carmack
found the gold that made the Yukon famous, and drew Martha and her husband George to the Yukon.
Urban legend has it that a server during the evening meal advised Prince Phillip not to give up his fork so quickly after the main course, because "there's still pie coming, Duke."
Bright and early, Monday morning, August 9th, 1954, the royal visitor boarded his Canadian government plane and headed north to Coppermine, in the Northwest Territories, for a quick tour of the Arctic. Of the visit, Life Magazine noted "the Duke not only enjoyed himself hugely but brought back a winter's worth of dazzling tales of the wild north world to tell the queen, as well as a pair of Eskimo soapstone carvings for Princess Anne and Prince Charles."
Which leads me to wonder if Charles still has those carvings. Maybe someone should ask him. They'd be worth a fortune on eBay.
A CKRW Yukon Nugget by Les McLaughlin
He was as colourful as the characters he wrote about.
Harry J. Boyle was the editor and owner of the Whitehorse Star from 1954 to 1963. The office was in a shack on Main Street, but the editorial office was in a dilapidated, uninsulated garage in the lane out back. It was cold and crowded, housing Harry's desk, and an oil space-heater that stopped when the temperature outside dropped.
When they entered the editorial office, visitors were treated with a strange sight. A large banner on the wall read: "RESPECT OUR GIRLS." Next to the banner were three photos: Queen Elizabeth, Harry's mother, and Marilyn Monroe.
Harry was a character. He wrote many editorials, and often included a light piece at the end - just for laughs. However, one day he couldn't think of one. Rusty Erlam remembers that it was Rendezvous Week in Whitehorse. Then, Boyle had a brain-wave.
"I have got it!", Harry said, and came up with a story about a little boy dragging his dog into the Rendezvous office and asking to register him for the one-dog race.
"What is his name?" the lady asked.
"I don't know," the boy answered. "I just found him!"
Harry was responsible for hiring one of the most famous community correspondents in the Yukon. In 1962, he began printing Edith Josie's column, Old Crow News, thus preserving a history of this important Yukon community.
According to Bob Erlam, Harry had a knack for finding strange stuff. Once, he found a floor-length coonskin coat. Then someone gave him one of the first electric toothbrushes.
One day in the middle of winter, Harry and Bob took the coat and brush along with Helga, from the Star's stationary store, and headed for the Yukon River.
Helga liked to paint, so they set up her easel on the ice and Erlam took a picture of her "painting" with the electric toothbrush. The caption explained that it was too cold in the Yukon to use an ordinary paint-brush. It seems that electrical trade magazines used the picture for months afterwards.
Harry Boyle had little time for bureaucracy. Once when some federal officials were visiting from Ottawa, the Star's front-page headline read: "Better class of drinkers in town."
No wonder the Star's motto was Illegitimus non Carborundum, which means "don't let the bastards wear you down."
When the United States fired a chimpanzee named "Ham," into space, and safely brought the chimp home, it became an international celebrity. Harry sent a telegram to Ham the chimp, at Cape Canaveral.
"Can you type? If so, we offer you the presidency of the Sourdough Press Club."
Shortly, in the mail came a reply and a signed photo of Ham, who, it turns out, was a female.
Harry wasted no time putting the picture of Ham on the office wall along with the Queen, Harry's mother and Marilyn Monroe.
When he sold the Star to Bob Erlam, Harry Boyle moved to B.C. to study law, earned a degree and eventually sat as a judge of the B.C. Supreme Court.
A CKRW Yukon Nugget by Les McLaughlin
THE WHITEHORSE STAR REPORTS IN 1954*
| • January 8, 1954 || Gordon Lyons is installed as Kiwanis president for 1954. |
| • January 8, 1954 || Patsy Henderson, last survivor of the Carmacks party who discovered gold on Bonanza Creek, August 17, 1898, is awarded the Coronation Medal in commemoration of the Queen Elizabeth on January 2, 1954. |
| • January 15, 1954 |
→ August 13, 1954
| The Duke of Edinburgh accepts the invitation of the Whitehorse I.O.D.E. and announces to visit Whitehorse during the summer 1954. The Duke visits Whitehorse on August 6, 1954 (see also August 8, 1954). |
| • January 15, 1954 || Whitehorse City Council announces January 12, 1954 that the Old Army Theatre in Downtown Whitehorse is sold to the Baptist Indian Mission School. |
| • January 22, 1954 || Pan American World Airways inaugurates their super clipper DC6B service to Juneau, Whitehorse and Fairbanks. Don Davis, the local Pan Am manager hosts the travelers. |
| • January 29, 1954 || Mayor H. Gordon Armstrong is re-elected for his third term as mayor of Whitehorse, with Gordon Cameron, Bill Hamilton, Bill Drury, and Owen Williams as Aldermen. |
| • February 12, 1954 || Frank Sidney, Chief of the Teslin Indian Band, is presented with the Queen's Coronation Medal on January 28, 1954. |
| • February 19, 1954 || Military, Air, and Naval attaches from over twenty-five different countries visit Whitehorse on an inspection tour of industrial developments. |
| • March 5, 1954 || The first bonspiel was held at the Whitehorse Curling Club on February 26, 1954 with more than forty teams entered. Hougen’s donates the men’s trophies. |
| • March 5, 1954 || The Dawson City Council of Mayor J. Collbourne and Alderman Fred Cook and Pat Callison are sworn to office during the recent visit to Dawson of the Honourable Justice Mr. J. E. Gibben. |
| • March 26, 1954 || The Whitehorse Meat Market on the corner of Main Street and Fourth Avenue was said to be going out of business. Mr. Koffman, the owner, said he was expecting to close the store within a month. |
| • March 26, 1954 |
→ April 23, 1954
| Mr. H. Samuelson, publisher of the Dawson Weekly News, announces that with the issue of March 25, the Dawson News will cease publication. The reason given was the increased costs and lack of advertising. The Dawson News was first published in 1899 during the Gold Rush Days. With the discontinuance of the Dawson News, the Whitehorse Star starts April 23, 1954, printing items of interests and happenings in Dawson. |
| • March 26, 1954 || Crystal Jorde is elected Ice Carnival Queen 1954. |
| • April 2, 1954 || It was announced that the cost of the proposed sewer and water installations in Whitehorse to the individual homeowner was to be about $10.00 a month. They expect that the work would be started in the summer with completion by 1955. |
| • April 9, 1954 |
→ April 30, 1954
| After Martha Black suggested that the Yukon should have a territorial flower, the Yukon Territorial Council adopts the Pasque Flower, commonly known as the Crocus, as the territorial flower of the Yukon. However, shortly later, it is announced that the crocus will not be the territorial flower of the Yukon as it already is the emblem of Manitoba. |
| • April 9, 1954 || A second shipment of Elk reaches the Yukon with the combined efforts of the Territorial Government and the Yukon Fish and Game Association. They release the animals as before, at Braeburn Lake. The program was started three years ago and was hoped to continue until at least one hundred head had been brought into the Yukon. |
| • April 30, 1954 || W.D. MacBride is re-elected president of the Yukon Historical Society. |
| • May 7, 1954 || Ernest Theed was elected President of the Whitehorse Board of Trade at the annual meeting. Rolf Hougen was returned as Vice-President, Art Jones as Treasurer, and Bob Rowan as Secretary. |
| • May 7, 1954 || T.C. Richards retires as manager of the Whitehorse branch of Burns and Co. Ltd. |
| • May 13, 1954 || The first official announcement that they would release the Army Engineers of maintenance of the Alaska Highway when public works Minister Winters announces that it would take several months to complete the transfer. |
| • May 14, 1954 || The new building for the Bank of Montreal is under construction. |
| • May 28, 1954 || The Whitehorse Junior Chamber of Commerce elects the following at their annual meeting: President, Robert Toth; First Vice-President, Al Prince; Second Vice-President, Archie Sinclair; Secretary, Ernie Delaney; Treasurer, John Stanley. |
| • June 4, 1954 || City officials are very surprised when they learn that the taxpayers had voted 94 percent in favour of water and sewer. |
| • June 4, 1954 || The Federal Government will build a new 120-bed hospital in Whitehorse this year providing satisfactory arrangements can be made regarding the financing between the Territorial Government and Ottawa. Plans were also drawn for a new hospital at Mayo. |
| • June 11, 1954 || The Whitehorse Parent Teachers Association elect the following at their annual meeting: President, Mrs. C.D. Taylor; Vice-President, Mrs. Tom Greenswood; Secretary, Mrs. M. Chadock; Treasurer, Mr. V. Suddaby. |
| • June 11, 1954 || The whole of the Alaskan-Yukon boundary line, extending for a length of 808.2 miles, is completed. |
| • June 11, 1954 || The steamer Klondike opens the 1954 navigation season on June 12, 1954. |
| • June 25, 1954 || W.A. Green is elected president of the Yukon Mining and Exploration Co. Ltd. |
| • July 9, 1954 || The Yukon government is considering the adoption of a Coat of Arms, from three prize winning designs submitted by three Yukon School children: Alan McDiarmid, Tommy Nakashima, and Ione Cameron. |
| • July 16, 1954 || Mr. Odin Hougen, manager of Marsh Lake Lodge, told the Star that his new cocktail lounge would open this week. The lounge was built on the east side of the lodge and extended back into the premises formerly occupied by the beer parlour. |
| • August 8, 1954 || His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh, arrives in Whitehorse. The Duke made stops around Whitehorse visiting with its citizens. They held a reception that same evening in the RCAF Officers Mess where Commissioner and Mrs. W.G. Brown received more than 200 guests. The Duke and his party left the following day for Coppermine in the NWT. |
| • August 13, 1954 || A new dairy is to open and will be known as the Whitehorse Dairy. The plant is located in the rear of the Pinchin Building. The milk will be bottled for home delivery and in cartons for store sale. |
| • September 17, 1954 || Plans are revealed to construct for Whitehorse a Sewage Disposal Pumping Station at the North end of the City on Moccasin Flats. |
| • September 24, 1954 || The sale of the Whitehorse Star is announced by Publisher and Owner Thomas G. Bain to Mr. Harry D. Boyle of Vancouver and Penticton, B.C. |
| • September 25, 1954 || The annual fishing contest put on by the Yukon Fish and Game Association was officially finished the week before. The winner for the month of June was Johnnie Johns in the Lake Trout Class, with a trout caught at Tagish that weighed more than 40 pounds. Dr. A.C. Tanner won the Rainbow Trout Class, with his fish weighing in at almost three pounds. They received trophies donated by Hougen’s Ltd. |
| • October 1, 1954 || The Whitehorse Lions Club installs the following at their first meeting of the season: President, Lawrence Seeley; First Vice-President, Dick Carswell; Second Vice-President, Dave Porter; Third Vice-President, Percy Bethune; Secretary, Harry Fatt; Treasurer, Bob Hughes. |
| • October 8, 1954 || A disastrous fire on October 2, 1954 destroys the garage of the British Yukon Navigation Company. |
| • October 8, 1954 || For the first time in history the export tonnage through Whitehorse exceeds the import tonnage. |
| • October 29, 1954 || In a simple ceremony, George Gleave, First Vice-President of the Canadian Legion, unveils on October 23, 1954 the new Whitehorse War Memorial in the front of the new Federal Government building. |
| • October 29, 1954 || The Federal Government’s proposal for bridging the Yukon River and establishing a town site across the river met with mixed feelings initially in Whitehorse. After consideration most people felt, “Let’s Go.” The only reservation, and this was almost unanimous, was that no commercial development be allowed across the river for many years to come. |
| • November 5, 1954 || The Federal Government building in Whitehorse opens its doors to the public. Commissioner W.G. Brown is the master of ceremonies for the opening. , Aubrey Simmons Member of Parliament and Mayor Gordon Armstrong are speakers. The reinforced concrete building contains approximately 56,000 sq. ft. of office space and houses all departments of government in Whitehorse. |
| • November 12, 1954 || The Whitehorse Post Office moved into new streamlined quarters in the Federal government building. In its new home, the Post Office had 4,000 sq. ft. of floor space, 300 more boxes than in the old office, new equipment and room to expand facilities and service. |
| • November 19, 1954 || The Elks (B.P.O.E.) at their general meeting elect the following: Exalted Ruler, R.A. (Dick) Carswell; Leading Knight, Don McPhail; Loyal Knight, George Webber; Lecturing Knight, Ray Brown. |
| • November 26, 1954 || The Yukon Ski Runners elect the following officers: President, C. Skelton; Vice-President, B. Trembath; Secretary, D. Stephenson; Treasurer, M. Robertson. |
| • November 26, 1954 || Clyde Wann builds the first section of the Beaver Creek Lodge (now Westmark). (see also November 28, 1952). |
| • December 3, 1954 || The Yukon Theatre opened its doors at Wood St. and 3rd Ave. The new theatre combines all the modern devices and good design incorporated in many larger theatres in outside centres. Sam McClimon is the owner. |
| • December 3, 1954 || The construction of Bear Creek Community Curling Club is completed and Bear Creek residents are very proud of this addition to the community. Grant Barrett was the moving force behind this venture. |
| • December 10, 1954 || The Whitehorse Branch of the Canadian Legion elected the following officers at their general meeting; President; J.E. Grasser; Vice-President; K.A. Rawden; Second Vice-President, R.J. Friend; Treasurer, J.A.C. McKenzie; Secretary, J.E. Turnquist. |
| • December 10, 1954 || Y.O.O. Pioneers celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of their order. December 1, 1894 was the date of the first meeting held by the Pioneers in Forty Mile. |
| • December 17, 1954 || The new school at Mayo is officially opened on December 10, 1954 by Commissioner W.G. Brown, at a ceremony sponsored by the PTA. |
|* The dates on the left indicate when the event was reported in the newspaper and might differ from the actual date of the event/ the date mentioned within the text on the right.|
IN OTHER NEWS IS 1954
- W.J. Bill Borrie of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce addresses the local Board of Trade in the Whitehorse Inn Ballroom.
- Clarence Sands, Atlin pioneer merchant, dies.
- Pete Petiot continues as manager of the Civic Centre.
- White Pass and Yukon Route & Canadian Pacific Airlines plan new Klondike Tours promotions.
- Hougen's Juvenile Hockey Team wins playoff against Northland Beverages.
- After twenty-four years of teaching and serving as Superintendent of Schools, Jack Holland is fired, and later reinstated.
- John Backe from Haines Junction opens a cocktail bar in his motel.
- Ron Booth, editor for eight months of the Whitehorse Star, resigns.
- Lloyd Ryder heads the Whitehorse Curling Club.
- Ordering wine with meals is now permitted in Vancouver restaurants.
- Postal employees begin a 5-day work week and the post office is closed on Saturdays.
- Jean Lesage, Minister of Northern Affairs, visits the Yukon.
- Arthur MacKay, Manager of the Canadian Bank of Commerce, leaves after three and a half years. George Frizell is his successor.
- Y.P.A. Sports Day on Mayday is a success. Peggy Jamieson is voted May Queen.
- The paddlewheeler Klondike is newly refurbished as a luxury tourist boat and is launched for a Dawson City run.
- George and Martha Louise Black celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary.
- The city spreads a coat of heavy oil on the streets to keep down dust.
- Wing Commander F.H. Pearce replaces Wing Commander Chuck Olson as commanding officer of the RCAF Whitehorse.
- The city grants an electrical franchise to Yukon Electrical Co. Ltd.
- White Pass hauls record tourists - 114 on the
Tutshi to Ben My Chree and eighty-five to Whitehorse.
- Len Metcalfe heads the Whitehorse Rifle and Pistol Club.
- George Milne plane crashes on Mt. Fox. Milne and three passengers in the Beaver aircraft are killed.
- Lloyd Camyre, sportsman, hockey coach, dies.
- Howard Firth of Dawson City purchases the Wise Insurance Agency.
- J.E. (Herb) Grasser is elected Legion President.
- White Pass announces changes: Bill Hamilton is promoted to Assistant to the President and will move to Vancouver; Ernie Theed becomes Superintendent of River Division (BYN); George Smith is named Assistant Superintendent Highway Division; Chuck Beaumont is General Agent in Whitehorse.